1889 - The Illustrated Sydney News Article
The Illustrated Sydney News. October 3, 1889
The Legend of Lindon.
Once upon a time, about three years ago, or thereabouts, the peaceful little village of Lindon was shaken to its centre by the report that a monstrous and mysterious apparition had appeared to a lady, the wife of the caretaker of Sir Henry Parke’s property at Falconbridge. It seems that she was in the act of gathering a few sticks when a commotion amongst the fowls attracted her attention, and on looking up, before her stood a Thing about seven feet height. The black hair growing on its head trailed weirdly to the ground, and its eye balls were surrounded with a yellow rim. It was – the hairyman!! (orchestra, pizzicato, and bluefire.)
Now, one would suppose that the reflected glory from so great a man as Sir Henry would have lent the lady courage to face the monster of the yellow-rimmed eyeballs and requested its name and address; but no, she just dropped her sticks and ‘skinned out of that,’ giving utterance to piercing screams. Her husband, on learning that a ‘hairyman’ was in the back yard, sailed forth with his gun to put daylight through him; but he of the flowing locks, in order to avoid an unsought-for publicity, had disappeared, taking several of the fowls with him to soothe his lonely hours. But, and this was imparted to us with great solemnity, he left a track three inches deep behind him!
When a fowl, or series of fowls disappear mysteriously during the night, people at Lindon whisper with baited breath – ‘The haryman!’
Parties who have seen his tracks institute search parties for his discovery. Mr. Cummins, of the Royal Hotel, Springwood, offers fifty pounds for him, in order to fasten him up in a hen coop and exhibit him to an admiring public, or sell him as an advertisement to a hair-restorative company.
© Copyright AYR
Australian Yowie Research - Data Base